Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 1 of Coder Camp

A photo of the Coder Camps, a bit reminiscent of Facebook during the Winklevoss twins days.

Today was my first official day at Coder Camps.  After passing the entrance assessment,  I thought the testing was behind me, but I was wrong.  We began the day with an intro and another test.  Most of the questions were pretty simple.  Just like with the home assessment I got stuck on one question.  After staring at it for about 30 minutes, I asked our teacher Alex for help and he introduced me to the console on windows.  This helped immensely.  I figured out the answer in under 5 minutes after that.  I haven't received my grade back yet, but I think I got all the questions right.

The rest of the day was devoted to teaching the very beginning basics of html, CSS, and Javascript.  So far it was all review for me.  I'm sure it will get much harder, very quickly.  Alex talked a lot about stress management and scheduling. I'm feeling overwhelmed that we will spend so much time coding, but I usually find requirements are greatly exaggerated in my mind than in reality.  One reason I chose this camp was so that I could keep up my church job and volunteering in the area on the weekends.  The time management lecture worried me about being able to do this.  Stay tuned and we'll see how it goes!

I volunteer as the Girl Scout Registrar for the Kingwood and part of the Atascocita area.  I created a database for the community in FileMaker.  I'm excited to be able to recreate this database without the program crutch.  I'm hoping to upload onto the web and password protect it so that other volunteers can access and update pertinent information directly instead of through the Registrar.

No comments:

Post a Comment